Thursday 6 November 2014

What should the aims of a Child Abuse Inquiry be?

I'm putting out the simple question, "What should the aims of a Child Abuse inquiry be?" for thought overnight.

I'm deliberately not saying what my suggestions for the aims are.

I plan to put my head over the parapet about that tomorrow.

Try writing down a (short?) list of what the aims of a Child Abuse Inquiry should be.

It's harder than I thought it would be and my ideas tonight may change a little more by tomorrow.

I'm not asking what you think the Terms of Reference should be. The Terms of Reference will follow from your aims.

I'm not asking who you think should carry out the inquiry. That too will depend on the aims.

I'm not asking what methodology or safeguards you think should be put in place. Gues what? That also will depend on the Aims.

I'm asking what the aims should be. In other words what you want the Inquiry to achieve.

If we're not totally clear about what we think the Aims should be how can we work out the Terms of Reference, who should do what and what the methodology should be?

Yes, I'm being (infuriatingly?) logical. But it makes sense ... at least to me! :)

1 comment:

  1. It does make sense and my answer is the aim is to get the truth. This sets us on the way to justice but justice is a complementary but separate process

    ReplyDelete